The Gluten-Free Flour Mom

My photo
Almost fifteen years ago, I used to bake brown rice flour muffins so I had a healthy snack on hand at school. Since then, my baking has come a long way. I've decided to get to the heart of these ancient grains that make delicious and nutritious gluten-free flours. I keep tweaking my own blend, made with teff, quinoa and brown rice flour. I love baking for my friends and customizing the recipes so that anyone with an allergy can enjoy them!

Saturday 2 July 2011

Peach Pancakes with Sorghum Flour

My travels in South India broadened my knowledge of gluten-free flours. South Indian cuisine uses chickpea flour and sorghum flour, also known as jawar flour, for many of their recipes. Sorghum flour is a great base flour and it is used in Indian flat breads (rotis, chapatis). I thought it would be perfect mixed with my flour blend for a hearty pancake. I love making something special for a weekend breakfast. This morning I decided to put some ripe peach pieces in the batter. There aren't any pictures because they were scarfed down before I could find the camera!

1/3 cup of my gluten-free blend
1/3 cup of sorghum flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum
1 cup of rice milk
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
handful of cut of peach bites

Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Fold in pieces of ripe peaches. Spoon on a medium/hot fry pan. Flip after a few minutes. After they turn toasty brown (another couple of minutes), serve with REAL maple syrup.

1 comment: