The Gluten-Free Flour Mom

My photo
Almost fifteen years ago, I used to bake brown rice flour muffins so I had a healthy snack on hand at school. Since then, my baking has come a long way. I've decided to get to the heart of these ancient grains that make delicious and nutritious gluten-free flours. I keep tweaking my own blend, made with teff, quinoa and brown rice flour. I love baking for my friends and customizing the recipes so that anyone with an allergy can enjoy them!

Monday 4 July 2011

The Perfect Blueberry Muffin

If you only make one recipe from this blog, make this. You would never know they are gluten free. I keep some of these in the freezer. Baby Jake loves them too. Even my husband asks to go to work with one in his bag.


1 and ½ cup of amy ruth's baking mix
½ cup of goat yogurt
2 eggs
¼ cup of oil
1/4 cup of maple syrup or agave syrup
½ cup of apple puree
1/8 cup of sweetener or sugar to taste
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
½ cup of blueberries

yeilds 9 muffins

Mix wet and dry ingredients together. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. Have you found a good substitute for eggs that would hold up. Also will using regular plain yogurt yield the same results?
    My son is 8 months and he eats almost anything- i think he's love these. When did you give your kids eggs in baking items?

    Thanks- Looking forward to trying them out.
    Also, how much flax and chia seeds do you use to your 1 to 1 to 1 part flour mix?

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole
    I let my little guy eat eggs in my baked muffins around 10 months. My son eats everything and doesn't have any allergies. I substitute an egg with 1 tbsp of flax mixed with 3 tbsp of warm water. It works well enough but it will yield a different result. I find that my pumpkin muffins work best without eggs if you're looking to do a vegan recipe. If you have a sensitivity, have you tried duck eggs? They are less allergenic. Also, regular yogurt works just as well. In my flour mix, there is about 1/8th of a cup of chia and flax per batch. I hope you enjoy them and would love to hear how they turn out.
    Amy Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were fantastic! We used the flax water combo. I wanted to wait to give my guy whole eggs for a little while. We don't have any allergies. We froze a bunch and ate them recently and they tasted great. Our 14 mth old friend came by and downed 2 of them and wanted more!
    Thanks for the tips- I look forward to trying more recipes.

    ReplyDelete