The Gluten-Free Flour Mom

My photo
Almost fifteen years ago, I used to bake brown rice flour muffins so I had a healthy snack on hand at school. Since then, my baking has come a long way. I've decided to get to the heart of these ancient grains that make delicious and nutritious gluten-free flours. I keep tweaking my own blend, made with teff, quinoa and brown rice flour. I love baking for my friends and customizing the recipes so that anyone with an allergy can enjoy them!

Monday 27 June 2011

Quinoa Flour!

Quinoa Flour!
Quinoa is a super food, a grain that is a staple in my diet. I always have a fresh batch of quinoa on hand in my fridge for me and my baby. I mix it into soups, make it into a pilaf salad, or sweeten the fluffy grain into a dessert. In creating my flour blends, I did some research using the grain I love in its flour state. Quinoa flour is now sold in many health food stores. It creates a dense, fudgey consistency that is great for a muffin to sink your teeth into.

Quinoa Flour Banana Muffin
Dry ingredients
½ cup quinoa flour
½ cup rice flour
½ cup potato starch
1 tsp (gluten-free) baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of clove
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
a pinch of salt

Wet ingredients
2 eggs
1 cup of mashed very ripe bananas
1 tbsp vanilla extract
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup of applesauce
1/3 cup of agave syrup
¼ teaspoon of lemon juice

Heat an oven to 340F/170C.
Mix the wet ingredients together and mix the dry ingredients together.
Combine these two without over mixing them.
These make 10 muffins
Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment