The Gluten-Free Flour Mom

My photo
Almost fifteen years ago, I used to bake brown rice flour muffins so I had a healthy snack on hand at school. Since then, my baking has come a long way. I've decided to get to the heart of these ancient grains that make delicious and nutritious gluten-free flours. I keep tweaking my own blend, made with teff, quinoa and brown rice flour. I love baking for my friends and customizing the recipes so that anyone with an allergy can enjoy them!

Thursday 30 June 2011

Tropical Morning Muffin with Papaya

The one thing I love about London is finding ingredients in my local market that you just wouldn't find in a supermarket in the States. The other day, I stumbled upon canned papaya chunks. I'm not a fan of canned fruit, but for baking, it can be inspiring. Here is what I came up with this morning, using coconut milk to keep up the tropical theme. Papaya is a wonder fruit, filled with digestive enzymes.

1 1/2 cups of my flour blend
1 teaspoon of xantham gum
1 teaspoon of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
One heaping cup of a mixture of mashed bananas and mashed papaya


1/8 cup of flax seeds or bran
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup of coconut milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup of maple syrup
handful of raisins
pinch of salt
(add 1/8 cup of other sweetener or sugar for a sweeter muffin) I don't have a big sweet tooth.

5 comments:

  1. Ack!! Am I missing something? I'm making these muffins tonight -right now ready to go in oven but there's no temperature !

    Help!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going with 350-I'm sure that'll do. Time? I'll just wing it. I substituted the eggs for the flax/ water combo you mentioned in blueberry muffin post and only used bananas and soy milk only because that's what i had on hand. I'm holding off on giving my 8 month old eggs for now.
    Thanks-I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of my recipes baked at 350 (and muffins for about 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean) Every oven is different so if yours is slow, cranking it up won't hurt. Mashed bananas and soy will be fine. However, they won't be as "springy" without the eggs. They should just turn out a little denser, which I think also tastes yummy. Let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins came out great!!! They were moist and still springy without the eggs. I added cardamom to them too. My son loved them and ate a whole one for breakfast 2 mornings in a row along with yogurt and blueberries. I really enjoyed them too and will file them in my recipe box.
    I look forward to trying out more of your recipes.
    Thanks so much! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to hear and so glad to know this one worked well without the eggs. I'm in the middle of editing some recipes on this blog since I'm going to be selling my mix. If it says "amy ruth's baking mix" instead of each flour with the raising agents and you need any help, do let me know. I'm happy to help. It's so fun to see the little guys eat our baked goods!

    ReplyDelete