The Gluten-Free Flour Mom

My photo
Almost fifteen years ago, I used to bake brown rice flour muffins so I had a healthy snack on hand at school. Since then, my baking has come a long way. I've decided to get to the heart of these ancient grains that make delicious and nutritious gluten-free flours. I keep tweaking my own blend, made with teff, quinoa and brown rice flour. I love baking for my friends and customizing the recipes so that anyone with an allergy can enjoy them!

Monday 23 January 2012

Brown Teff Bread

EXCITING NEWS! I'M HOPING THAT I'M JUST A FEW WEEKS AWAY FROM THE LAUNCH OF MY BAKING MIX! Since I've mastered the mix for muffins and quick breads, etc. I'm still working on different kinds of bread when I can't sleep.

We all make mistakes, sometimes they end up in the trash and sometimes they end up being something completely different than you what you expect. Since I ran out of quinoa and a base flour like sorghum and brown rice, I decided to make a bread purely out of Teff (and tapioca starch to balance it out.) It came out as a light pumpernickel/brown bread, one that would be good toasted with butter. It didn't end up in the trash. I ate it happily. But next time I'd trade out 1/3rd cup of teff and add brown rice. Teff is a brilliant tiny grain but unless I tweak the rest of my bread recipe, it needs a little robust friend like brown rice. Here is a picture of my 3 little friends. So yes, you can make do with just one, but mixing different gluten free flours together always yields a better result.

1 cup of teff flour
1 cup of tapioca starch

1 1/2 teaspoons of xantham gum
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspooon of unflavored gelatin
2 tablepoons of sugar or sweetener. (I use erythritol and I use 3 to make a sweeter bread)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 cup of dry buttermilk powder
2 Tablespoons of ground flax
2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast granules
1 egg plus 1 egg white
1/2 teaspooon of cider vinegar
1 cup of water
3 tablespoons of oil

No comments:

Post a Comment